Usually, when people see the Syphon coffee maker for the first time, they think it’s a chemical experiment. After all, this Syphon tool has two parts, both made of transparent glass: the lower part contains water and the upper part holds coffee. These two parts are in contact and connected by a sealed rubber valve, preventing gas from escaping. The coffee making mechanism of this device also applies many laws of physics, causing boiling water from below to be pushed up and making coffee on top.
Syphon is a method of preparing coffee by pressure that baristas based on the principle of reverse osmosis. This principle is shown in the process that first the water will be boiled in the lower pot, the pressure generated pushes the steam to permeate the roasted coffee that has been measured in the upper glass jar. After a period of boiling, with suction from the funnel, the coffee is absorbed back into the lower pot.
Ustensils you need to prepare
- – The coffee
- – Coffee grinder
- – Weighing urine
- – Syphon instrument
- – Halogen or alcohol stove
- – Wood stirrer
- – Coffee pot
Extraction time: 1 minute 30 seconds – 2 minutes
Scale: 1/9 to 1/10 (1gram of coffee 9 grams of water), we will use 30grams with a ratio of 1/10
Grind size: Medium-fine
Water Temperature: 89 – 92oC
Follow these steps :
- – Step 1: Put 300ml of water into the lower part of the syphon, fasten the upper part to the lower bridge side.
- – Step 2: With the pressure of heat, the water will run backwards. When the water above has risen and reaches a temperature of 92 degrees Celsius, reduce the stove heat. Add the coffee to stir for the first time and press the time.
- – Step 3: After 30 seconds, stir for the second time.
- – Step 4: Wait 1 minute, then turn off the stove. Remove the syphon from the stove, stir gently one more time, use a damp cloth to wipe the lower part to reduce the heat to help the water above drain quickly.
- – Step 5: When the water recedes to the lower part, the time also ends about 1 minute 30 seconds, remove the upper part and shake the coffee below. Be careful because this syphon method is very hot.