Pour Over is a simple, effective method to brew coffee at home, using the drip method through filter paper and a device quite similar to a Vietnamese coffee filter « Phin ». This method is also known as making coffee with a funnel and filter paper. Especially in this method, the coffee water will give the scent and taste almost exactly with the quality of the coffee, so if the coffee is bad, the taste will be very bad and becoming difficult to drink.
Pour over’s method will give out almost 100% of the typical flavor of coffee. The pour over dispensers are (V60, Chemex, Kalita Wave, Clever Dripper, Melitta, Walkure Brewer, Kone- Metal filter, Woodneck- Cloth filter)
V60 is a coffee maker manufactured by Hario. In fact, Hario has been making glass conical coffee dispensers since the 1950s, but it was not until 2004, after being modified that it was completed.
V60 can be made of plastic, glass and ceramic. But all them have spiral rails inside and have 1 big hole in the center and shape as a funnel with a 60 degrees vector angle.
Ustensils you need to prepare :
– Coffee grinder
– Coffee scale
– Coffee drip
– Coffee spoon (prefer wooden)
– V60’s filter paper
– Coffee container
Extraction time: 2.5 – 3 minutes
Scale : 1/15 to 1/17 (1gram coffee 15gram water), we will use 16gram with 1/15 scale
Grinding size : Medium-fine (Coarser than Espresso and finer than Chemex)
Water Temperature : 89 – 92 oC
Follow these steps :
Step 1 : Boil 450grams of water (~16oz) at 92 oC
Step 2: Place filter in V60.
Step 3: Use 100 grams of hot water to rinse inside the V60, the filter paper and the coffee’s container.
Step 4: Put the grounded’s coffee into the filter paper, shake the V60 gently to flatten the surface. Then place the V60 and the coffee’s container on the scale. Then set the scale to 0.
Step 5: The water will be filled 4 times in total, each time we will set the timer then reset when finished each filling.
- – 1st time : Start filling the water. The flow will be focused in the middle to the spiral outward and vice versa. Using 30gram of water and filling time is 30 seconds. This helps the CO2 in the coffee beans to escape, you will experience a scent of the coffee which baristas call “bloom”.
- – Second time : Filling time is from 30 to 35 seconds and the flow starts from the center, pours in a spiral gradually to the outer edge (don’t go too close to the edge because the water will follow the funnel and go straight down without any effect on the coffee’s ground). Add about 80 grams to 110 grams of filling water and the filling time start from 30 seconds to 1 minute 10 seconds. This second time, stir the coffee so that the coffee is extracted more evenly.
- – 3rd time : When the water recedes near the surface of the coffee, please add more water so that the coffee is not drained of water. Do as the second filling, starting from center of the V60 and adding 80 grams of water to bring the total filling water to 190 grams, the filling time is from 1 minute 10 seconds to 1 minute 50 seconds.
- – 4th time : Always remember not to let the water drained out on the coffee surface, this requires a lot of practice. The last time, add 50 grams of water, the time until the water runs down to the bottom of the coffee’s container is 2 minutes 30 seconds – 3 minutes.